The building is included in the Tel-Aviv Municipality Preservation plan as a ‘Building for preservation with high restrictions. It is currently occupied by offices of White City Buildings and Bar Orian Architects. Preservation work as well as interior renovation were carried out by White City Buildings.
The preservation work was completed in 2008 and the building is currently occupied.
Bar orian Architects
This special building on 44 Balfour St. was built in European style with decorative elements of oriental characteristics. A local hybrid style which is known as ‘eclectic style’, the building was designed in 1929 by the architect Moshe Cherner for the Shevach family. Since then, the building has had many owners until it was designated for preservation and renovated by the White City Buildings company. Since its beginning, some of the buildings’ apartments were used for a variety of businesses such as a mini-market, a shoe store, a book distribution shop and a shutter workshop.
It is a three-story building, originally consisted of six apartments, each consisting of 4 rooms (two apartments on each floor). The building stands on the sidewalk-line on the corner of Rothschild and Balfour streets and it has two small courtyards on both east and south sides. On both facades facing Rothschild Blvd. and Balfour St. there are striking open terraces with metal rails, moldings and decorations. This decorative theme, appears on the stairway rail inside the building as well. There were stained glass windows on the doors and it is still possible to find a few doors facing Balfour St. with the original glaze preserved. The entrance door has a round window finish with an embossed frame. Also, the windows in the main façades are enclosed with embossed frames.
The building was designed by Moshe Leib Cherner who was born in Galicia. In 1921 he immigrated to Israel with his wife Rivka and by the end of the 1920’s he held the position of Tel-Aviv’s city engineer. Among the buildings he designed are The Old City Hall on Bialik St, ‘Ohel Shem’ on Balfour St. and a residential building on 25 Nahmani St. He died in 1962. Moshe Cherner and his wife were childless. Among their distant relatives were the author ‘Poochoo’ Israel Wisler and the engineer Shraga Gorani.