The building was purchased by White City Buildings with the goal of increasing its value by redesigning the perimeter of the building and preserving it according to its original details. The building has commercial units on the ground floor and residential apartments on the top floors. It was originally designed by the architect Binyamin Chlenov in the international style. Its design was simple and functional.
The preservation was completed in 2013, after which the building was occupied.
Bar Orian Architects
The office building on 41 Lilienblum St was designed in a U shape that creates a private courtyard with palm trees and olive trees. The building has many terraces that reflect a design that considers the building employees’ breaks of getting fresh air. In 1925 a residential building was built on the lot in an area that was part of the estate for the Tultzimasky family. The building was designed by the architect Berlin. In 1933 Elyakim Kushnir bought the house with the intent of designing in its place a new building that would fit the changing environment. In 1934 Tel-Aviv received its status as a city with a population of 75,000 and became a financial center. The demand for commercial and industrial property increased and banks and offices began replacing residential buildings in the area of Nahalat Binyamin, Allenby and Lilienblum. According to this trend the Toltzimosky House was destroyed in 1937, and in its place in 1938 the office building ‘City’ was built on the remains of the historical Estate house. The building exists to this day.
The building was designed by the architect Binyamin Chlenov in the international style. Its design was simple and functional, yet also possessed a presentable tone. The Kushnir house is a testament to the various processes that occurred in the city, such as the economic growth that led to its establishment in the late 30’s, which stemmed from the immigration wave of the fifth ‘Aliya’ and led to the building of offices instead of residential houses in the eclectic style. The international style that characterized it also reflects social and cultural perceptions of functionality and cooperation that were common during that period. The building joins the others on the surrounding streets creating an urban commercial texture in the area. The structure’s distinction is in its use of various sized terraces on all facades, as well as the designed public spaces with modern-styled furniture items.